Autopilot system vary in complexity but at the simplest consist of flight electronics designed to return the helicopter to a stable hover when control inputs are not made, similar to a coaxial helicopter, but much more expensively. Autopilot systems are frequently used in aerial photography.
A number of different technologies are used. Some, like the FMA Co-Pilot or Spartan AP2000i, use infrared horizon sensing to determine the helicopter's attitude. Others, like the Helicommand, use a combination of gyros, accelerometers and simple computer vision to detect the helicopter's movement and cancel or control it. Advanced autopilot systems can allow the helicopter to fly autonomously.
- Spartan AP2000i;
- FMA Co-Pilot;
- Stanford autonomous 3D helicopter project;
- Yamaha RMAX autonomous helicopter;
- DJI Innovations XP3.1 GPS/ inertial autopilot;
- DJI XP3.1 thread on Helifreak.
- LF Technik GyroBot 900.
- weControl wePilot 1000 GPS/ inertial autopilot/ flight control system;
- Guided Systems Technologies Fully autonomous turn key UAV helicopters;
- Rotomotion UAV Helicopter Controller.
Share your opinion